In an effort to provide more services to our membership and our numerous associations, CoMO-CAL is asking that you submit your questions on items that you need information on for home repairs and improvements, both for inside and outside. You questions will be answered on a first come first serve basis and there will be a monthly article each month giving tips and tricks on how to fix, repair, and replace items that require maintenance around your home. Please submit your questions to CoMO-CAL via the internet to email@example.com.
Our first installment is Called
Finding the right contractor
Before you hire a general contractor, do your research. This will ensure that you are hiring a reliable, competent individual or firm who can complete the task for which you are hiring them. We suggest you use this list as a guide:
- Avoid the “nice man” who comes randomly to your door.
- Choose a contractor carefully.
- Shop quality first and value second.
- Gather evidence that the individual or firm is reliable.
- Call a contractor referral service.
- Check references.
- Make a list of questions before calling references.
- Verify that the contractor has insurance.
- Verify licensing.
10…Check with the Better Business Bureau in your city.
- Get a detailed estimate.
- Make a decision based on overall value.
- Make sure your contract includes a payment schedule.
- There may be other questions and don’t be afraid to ask.